WINTER SKIN CARE
Does skin feel stretched after bathing? Itches through ought the day? Develops a white mark on scratching? Well, all are sign of winter skin dryness.
Why skin turns dry during winters?
Less of moisture in air causes skin to dry during winters. Bathing with hot water adds to skin dryness.
How to take care of winter skin dryness?
- Apply either mustard oil or flax seed oil before bathing. Application before bathing in the skin’s natural moisturizer, not allowing soap and water to rip it off . One can apply oil either one minute or one hour before bathing according to one’s convenience. In case one wants to use coconut oil instead, they can go ahead. Oils are good source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Dry skin lacks these, so it’s better to replenish from outside.
- While bathing avoid SLS containing soaps. SLS (Sodium laureate sulphate) in soaps is a harsh chemical which leaves skin dry. Also damages it in long run, making it more prone to eczema.
- Immediately after bathing apply a good body moisturizer within 3 minutes of patting oneself dry with towel. That’s because applying immediately helps moisturizer to seal in the natural moisture which skin has absorbed while bathing. Applying later would have less benefit.
- Bath in lukewarm water, not hot water.
- Limit your bathing time to five minutes. Prolonged exposure to water too leaves skin dry.
- Use of humidifiers in room would increase the moisture content of environment and thus of skin. Use them especially in winters.
Summary : Oil before bathing, SLS free soap while bathing and a body moisturizer immediately post bathing would help take care of winter skin dryness.
So make these winters special for your skin.
MBBS, MD, Dipl ABLS (USA)
Do subscribe our channels for more information :
SUBSCRIBE YOUTUBE (ENGLISH): https://bit.ly/2C9NPd3
SUBSCRIBE YOUTUBE (HINDI): https://bit.ly/2DflwM1